Last month wasn't a particularly hot one for Ford or General Motors, both of which saw declines almost across the board. As a result, the Chevrolet Malibu and Ford Fusion were the only domestic passenger cars to crack the top 10, while the typically second-place Chevrolet Silverado slipped to fourth. The culprits? Toyota's Camry and Honda's Accord, which combined for more than 70,000 deliveries last month.
Toyota's Prius line also combined together for a solid fifth place finish, but it's worth noting that the Japanese automaker groups all three of its Prius variants - the compact Prius c and the larger Prius v - together when it reports sales. This practice isn't entirely uncommon among automakers, but it does tend to skew the results a little.
While they didn't crack the top 10, the Ram pickup (21,126) Hyundai Sonata (20,521), Ford Focus (19,425), Chevrolet Equinox (18,282), Chevrolet Cruze (18,205) rounded out the top 15.
A few other interesting notes from last month:
- The Jeep Wrangler (12,184) outsold the Jeep Grand Cherokee (11,834, although the Grand Cherokee holds a roughly 7,500 unit advantage through the first four months).
- GMC sold 12,598 Sierra trucks; combined with the Silverado, GM's full-size pickups would have taken second place.
- The Volkswagen Jetta (16,658) was the best-selling European-badged car.
- The Chevrolet Camaro (9,627) outsold the Ford Mustang (7,801).
- Finally, the Chevrolet Volt (1,462) vastly outsold the Nissan Leaf (370).
Curious as to how all automakers fared last month? Look no further.
The 10 best-selling cars of April 2012
1. Ford F-Series 47,453
2. Toyota Camry 36,820
3. Honda Accord 35,385
4. Chevrolet Silverado 30,749
5. Toyota Prius 25,168 (includes Prius c and Prius v)
6. Toyota Corolla 24,804 (includes Matrix)
7. Honda Civic 24,423
8. Honda CR-V 23,627
9. Chevrolet Malibu 21,906
10. Ford Fusion 21,610
Reader feedback: In response to reader requests, we're trying to provide a little extra data in this report. What additional information would you like to see in future top 10 sales charts? Is a photo gallery of the 10 best-selling cars important to you?